We’ve gone over some of the major alternatives to Bitcoin, like Litecoin, Ripple, Peercoin, and Namecoin, but these are not the only alternative virtual cryptocurrencies available. On this page we’re going to go over some of the other types of coins based on the original Bitcoin.
- Dogecoin (Doge) – In total, 99 Billion Dogecoins will be available, with 5 billion produced each and every year until the limit is reached. While this started as a joke, it’s really managed to take off and become popular recently.
- Mastercoin (MSC) – Launched on September 1, 2013, 619478.59338440 MSC are planned to be released into the world. This – like most other alternatives – is heavily based on the original Bitcoin code. This is a rather new Bitcoin alternative, but one that may emerge as a leader.
- RonPaulCoin (RPC) – You probably know all about Ron Paul and how passionate his supporters are when it comes to anything he represents. A planned 2.1 million total coins will be released into this system. RonPaulCoin was launched on December 29, 2013.
- Betacoin (BET) – In the first six years since it was launched. 32 million coins will be mined by people around the world. Betacoin was first launched in October, 2013, so it’s really relatively new, but it’s piqued a lot of interest since it was first announced.
- Nxt (NXT) – This cryptocurrency was designed to be a 100% PoS (Proof-of-Stake) system, which makes it a little different than some of the other alt coins starting to appear. It was launched on September, 29, 2013, so it’s really new at this point.
- TerraCoin (TRC) -Terracoin uses the SHA 256 algorithm just like Bitcoin, but as with the other alternatives, there are also some differences. For one, there will be 42 million TRC created for this cryptocurrency. However, it’s not gained as much traction as some of the others we’ve talked about.
It’s a good idea to make sure you don’t get involved with a dead or dying cryptocurrency like Beertoken or TimeKoin. Many other Bitcoin alternatives have been started, but a majority of them never managed to take off. Whether RonPaulCoins will become popular remains to be seen, but it’s interesting to learn about all the offshoots of the cryptocurrency that started it all – Bitcoin.
Bitcoin Basics eBook
If you’re unfamiliar with the concept of Bitcoin or cryptocurrencies, we recommend downloading our complete ebook on Bitcoin basics so that you’ll have a definitive resource about this virtual currency that’s becoming more popular all the time. We’ve included everything you’re going to want to know, including how Bitcoin got started, why it grew so quickly, and why people are so excited about the possibilities it offers. We also have information on what you need to get started so that you can get some bitcoins of your own.